These guidelines are subject to change at any time.
#rice is a community with a strong focus on technology. Whilst being mainly a ricing channel, other related topics surrounding technology are generally acceptable. However, prolonged or uncivil discussion of other less-related topics is discouraged. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Drug use
- Religious beliefs
Otherwise, we generally abide by the following behaviours.
- Avoid intentionally trying to invoke arguments/drama (sometimes known as flamebaiting). This includes bringing up controversial topics purely for the sake of bringing said controversy to the channel. Examples include, but are not limited to: pro/anti-systemd, “my OS is better than your OS” and “your programming language of choice sucks”.
- Avoid personal attacks. If you have to argue, attack the argument, not the person.
- Playful ‘banter’ is okay - just be wise about where to draw the line!
- Keep “roleplay” in PM, nobody wants to see it.
- Most of the bots in the channel can be operated over PM, so if your use of a bot dictates more than a few lines in a short amount of time, take it to PM.
- Refrain from “mods are nazis”-esque shitposting, it does nothing but cause drama and more shitposting. If you have a specific problem with any mods or moderation of the channel in general, bring it to #rmch, we’re always looking for ways to improve.
- Please don’t bring bots into #rice without discussing it in #rmch first, and especially don’t test your bot in #rice under any circumstances. This also applies to client scripts that output text in response to user action in a similar way to bots.
- Piracy: Talking about it is OK, linking to pirated material directly, or other resources whose sole purpose is linking to said materials, is not.
- Please respect the fact that #rice, like much of the internet, is an English-speaking community. Any non-English discussion must be taken to PM so you don’t exclude the rest of the channel.
Failure to abide by these simple guidelines may ultimately result in permanent removal from the channel.
This list is not all inclusive, and you may be kicked or banned at the mods discretion for any, or no reason.
#rice is not the channel for discussing the merits or criticisms of these rules, please bring any concerns to #rmch instead.